Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Spore DRM Saga continues

I've noticed a few more postings and news stories lately about the Digital Rights Management scheme used in the recently released game Spore. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that it's getting consumer backlash on sites such as Amazon (2,565 1-star ratings as of today, btw).

Now Wired reports that Courthouse News Service reports that a group of fans have filed a Class-Action suit against EA because of it's use of SecuROM without disclosure.

I don't think it's going to work, but I do think the consumers who continue to voice their displeasure with SecuROM type of DRM's both publicly and with their wallets will help to push EA in the right direction. As Oliver Day points out, that worked for Apple and Amazon.

For now, I'm holding off on buying the game. Partly because I'm busy with other things, and partly because I'm waiting to see what will happen. As I've said before, I have no issue about paying for the games I play. What I don't like is the possibility that I will not be able to play the game two or three years from now just because I've upgraded my hardware too many times.

No comments: