Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning - Day 2

After my second day (ok, 1/2 day, there IS work to be done ya know) of playing the open beta of Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning (WAR) I'm still happy.

I've found my way around well enough to progress one character to level 7, and a second character to level 3, and have just made a another character of the opposite faction to try that out as well. I spent quite a bit of time playing RvR but never managed to get above middle of the pack in number of kills made (but did do much better in the number of times died column.) I think it's kind of funny that I'm enjoying RvR a lot more in WAR than I have in the Battlegrounds of World of Warcraft (WoW). Maybe because there are so many more of us in the RvR battles, I don't feel like I'm under so much pressure to perform. I did a couple more Public Quests too, but was more interested in gaining XP buy finishing up my other quests, so did not hang around to repeat the PQ multiple times like I did with the one in Chapter 1. I think the novelty has worn off already.

I've only joined random questing groups a couple of times, and both times did not stick around very long. No one was really collaborating on the quest objective, and one time the group members were on opposite ends of the zone. I've also noticed that when I do look at the list of groups available, it's almost always only got 2 members. So far, it looks like the whole 'grab a group' idea is a bust. Just my opinion.

This time my kids looked over my shoulder for a while while I played WAR. Neither seemed very interested in playing themselves yet. My daughter berated me for making a male character rather than a female. I've noticed that both of them always make same-gender characters in WoW, almost as if it's just too icky to pretend to be a boy if you're really a girl. For me, it's mostly a point of view thing - male characters tend to be taller than their female counterparts, and I like being a tall as possible. Random, I know - but hey - I make my football pool picks based on whether or not I like the team's city, and so far that's worked out just fine for me too. Anywho, I was thinking about whether I'd allow the kids to play WAR if they were interested. The Pre-Order box that I purchased at GameStop did not have the official rating on it yet ("rating pending") but I'm guessing it will get a T for Teen. As to allowing the kids to play, so far I have not run across anything I'd consider objectionable, like swearing or excessive or bloody violence, so the short answer is "yes" but the real answer is probably "I'm not paying for an account for them on WoW and War. I'm already paying enough my own accounts." And the ulterior motive-answer is I've got to save money so I can buy Spore next.

No comments: